On April 29, 1974, the Law on the Establishment of the Cinematheque of Macedonia was published. Officially, the Cinematheque starts its work in 1976, as an institution of special interest for the Republic, with the task of collecting, processing, storing, protecting and presenting films and film materials of particular artistic, cultural, scientific, historical and other social significance.
In order to achieve such a defined activity, the Cinematheque of Macedonia is completely financed by the Ministry of Culture of the Government of the Republic of Macedonia.
In 2005, the Cinematheque moved to new premises on st. Nikola Rusinsky No.1. The archival materials, the entire Macedonian film production (from 1905 to the present), as well as the films made by foreign authors in Macedonia in the period up to the Second World War, are kept in a separate department in depots with a controlled temperature of 4 to 6 C ° and humidity of 50%. The remaining film materials are in the depots in the village near by Skopje.
There are 2 departments in the Cinematheque of Macedonia. Film archive or Department for collecting, protection, storage and processing of films and film materials and the Department for research, publishing, international relations and screenings.
The Cinematheque of Macedonia has a fund of over 15,000 film copies, more than 72,000 pieces of propaganda material, photos and posters, as well as more than 100,000 written documents. The Library is also a specialized library with over 4,500 books and magazines on the history and theory of the film, as well as 32,500 press clips. The cinema also has a collection of old cinematographic appliances.
The Cinematheque is a member of the International Federation of Film Archives (FIAF) and the European Film Association (ACE).